Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Annoying YA Tropes That Make Me Want to Cry / Claw My Eyes Out | YA Talk

Share it Please




!!!This is highly sarcastic. If need be, try to fight me on my points. Doesn't make any them less valid, though.!!!





No.7: No means yes: If I tell you to go away that absolutely means "Kiss me and I won't be mad anymore"
If a girl/boy tells you to leave them alone and never speak to them again, don't show up at their house later that day blasting music from a boombox you're not in a goddamn John Hughes movie okay
If only half of the YA love interests did that, we'd have a surprising amount of books that were only 50 pages long.

No.6: "I KNOW I JUST MET YOU BUT I'LL DIE IF YOU EVER LEAVE ME"
I don't know why there seems to be this general impression that co-dependency is romantic... I don't get it, does somebody want to explain? Emotional manipulation isn't cool either.

No.5: I'm not human.... I'm half human, half wizard/fae/loch ness monster
I can't. I just can't deal with this anymore.
Rule of thumb: If you already have a supernatural love interest, don't try to make the other person a supernatural whatever, too.


No.4: "The minute I saw her, I knew we were meant to be"
...totally not because she's smoking hot. I mean, I instantly fell in love with her personality. Like, before we even talked. I could smell her personality.


No.3: The dark broody, smoking, leather-jacket-wearing, too-smart-for-school love interest who writes poetry in his free time and skips class, but is still an A student
You'd think a highly specific trope like that wouldn't be so common. Actually, this is probably one of the maybe five love interests you'll find in popular YA. It's not YA if the love interest isn't a sarcastic dark haired dude with stunning blue eyes the color of the sky at precisely 3pm, am I right?

No.2: Eye colors more important than personality
Who needs a personality when your boyfriend has sparkling sapphire green eyes. Seriously, sometimes I forget people don't only consist of hair and eye colors, do we even have faces? Doesn't seem that important.

No.1: Teenagers reading Charles Bukowksi / T.S. Eliot / Jack Kerouac 
Has anyone ever been a teenager? Nobody enjoys assigned reading. Nobody reads stuff like that in their free time?!! Come on?!!! What are the odds of the two starcrossed lovers to both share an obsession with The Catcher in the Rye? Just don't. Two people who are madly obsessed with some obscure indie band? Okay, that I'll buy, but not J.D. Salinger. 


What are some YA tropes that make you want to leave this planet?



Check back tuesdays for more YA Talks!

More YA Talks:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make every blogger's day. Don't be afraid and say something, even if it's just a smiley face or a quick "Hey, I liked this" or "Hey, I didn't like this". Don't be shy! xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...