Saturday, March 14, 2015

[Review] Wedding Night - Sophie Kinsella

Share it Please

When her Lottie's old flame Ben calls her and reminds her of an old pact they made when she had been only eighteen, everything changes: They promised to each other that they would get married if they're still single at thirty and now they're intending to keep that promise, to the great displeasure of Charlotte's big sister Felicity. 


There's Nothing Like the Love between Sisters

The main conflict in "Wedding Night" is that Fliss, Lottie's older sister, is convinced that it's a bad idea to marry someone that she's just seen again two weeks ago after not hearing a word from them for fifteen years. Because Fliss is so eager on trying to keep Lottie from making another grave mistake, she does everything in her power to prevent her from making them in the first place. On the one hand I'm tempted to say that Fliss is a very controlling and know-it-all kind of character. On the other, Lottie is sometimes portrayed as an extremely naive and wordly innocent woman and I salute Fliss for not losing her temper all the time. I definitely identified more with Fliss, because she's the more mature one, but I'm having a hard time playing favorites.

The tricky thing about the situation is that Kinsella shows us both sides. She shows us how desperate Lottie is to fall in love and how eager Fliss is to do everything in her power to make Lottie happy. Even if her definition of happiness differs from Lottie's.

I think it's definitely an achievement to display both sides so realistically that I felt torn and unable to decide whose approach is the best. I wasn't so sure whether I was on the wedding crasher side or the wedding enthusiast side.

Queen of the Stalling Technique

Maybe it's just me but this novel feels a lot like the movie Mamma Mia, could be only because of the Greek island vacation-y vibe. And just like in every romantic comedy movie, the pacing is bit off in WEDDING NIGHT as well. You can read Kinsella novels almost always in one sitting, because her writing is just so light and easy.
WEDDING NIGHT  has definitely issues with the pacing. It certainly could have all been wrapped up in less pages and stripped down to the essential. Five hundred pages for a chick-lit novel is definitely on the longer side, but I don't see any need for this novel to be this long, because the plot is fairly simple and not complicated at all:

Girl gets dumped. Girl is sad. Girl meets old love. Girl gets married. Sister doesn't like it. 
Sister will destroy this marriage.


Rating:

★★

 

Overall: Do I Recommend?

There's many, many better Kinsella novels out there. This one feels like a cheap, hastily written rip-off of other novels she's written with characters that aren't likeable at all. The writing is excellent, but there should have been more work put into the characters and the plot line.



Synopsis:
"Lottie just knows that her boyfriend is going to propose, but then his big question involves a trip abroad—not a trip down the aisle. Completely crushed, Lottie reconnects with an old flame, and they decide to take drastic action. No dates, no moving in together, they’ll just get married . . . right now. Her sister, Fliss, thinks Lottie is making a terrible mistake, and will do anything to stop her. But Lottie is determined to say “I do,” for better, or for worse."

Have you tried anything by Kinsella?



2 comments:

  1. I've read several books by Kinsella and liked them, but I looked at the blurb and some reviews of this one before and decided to buy something else instead. Your review makes me think it was the right decision, because badly-executed multiple POV narration is one of my reading pet peeves. I hate when I forget whose POV I'm reading! I think my favorite Kinsella book is The Undomestic Goddess. I like her books for easy reading and fluffy endings, but sometimes her characters get on my nerves. Usually it gets better over the course of the novel though, so I'm sure I'll read another one of her books in the future! I'm sorry you didn't like this one as much as her other books, but I hope the next one you read will be better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely. This book made my heart ache!! :( I lovelovelove Kinsella. Haven't read The Undomestic Goddess yet, I've made the mistake of purchasing two of her Madeleine Wickham (her real name) novels and I've read both and am so fed up with her right now, wow.
    I think I've read about four Kinsella books this year or so and I cann definitely recommend I've Got Your Number. It's rare that I give 5 stars, but that one got them ;)

    Thank you, I hope so, too!! xx

    ReplyDelete

Comments make every blogger's day. Don't be afraid and say something, even if it's just a smiley face or a quick "Hey, I liked this" or "Hey, I didn't like this". Don't be shy! xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...