Saturday, March 28, 2015

5 Pieces of Book Blogging Advice (Bloggiesta #2)

Share it Please
If you're fairly new to blogging, you've probably faced a lot of challenges and have had to make a lot of hard decisions already. What helped me a lot is to check other bloggers' sites for advice, because in 99% of the cases- they're right. Here are some pieces of advice from a 6-month+-long blogger:




  • Do It for the Right Reasons

Blogging is time-consuming, frustrating and in most of the times it doesn't end in success. If you're looking to become a blogger or are already blogging on your own site, be aware that blogging may be a hobby, but it may also take up a lot of your time. I know some people who solely blog in hopes of getting free books from publishers. If you're only there to grab some books, you won't last long, because you'll notice that blogging is indeed hard work.

  • Constantly Rework Your Old Posts

You may think at first that nobody will read your old posts anyway, right? Especially when you've been blogging for a few months and have been noticing a huge improvement in both traffic on your site and your content, you're going to think that people will only care about your new stuff.

WRONG! You won't only get traffic from links you posted a week ago. Eventually, people will start finding your old posts and even commenting on them. Make sure to rework your old content in both language and design so you won't shoo away any possible readers with your bad quality early blogging days!
(I'm still working on that one myself, but I'll get there...)

  • There's No Such Thing as Instant Success, So Don't Sweat it

Hey, I'm a small blog and there's nothing wrong with that. If you're blogging for the right reasons and doing it only for yourself, it won't matter whether you have 10 followers or 1000. Of course it's nice to have a huge following, but in the end it doesn't matter. It takes time to build a following and if you're patient and constantly striving to be the best you can possibly be, it won't matter how many people read your blog.

  • RESPOND. TO. COMMENTS!

I don't know how many times I've said it- just respond for the love of God! You want your readers to comment on your blog, right? You're maybe even saying things like "even just saying hi is already enough" above your comment form. But then you don't even reply when people do exactly that.

Come on, if someone takes time out of their day to make you smile, it's only decent to respond to their comment. And if the person commenting on your blog is a blogger as well, it's a nice cherry on top if you go to their blog and comment on one of their posts. That's an easy way to make friends by the way!

  • Organize Your Blog!

While taste may vary, I think we can all agree that themes play a tremendous role in whether you want to continue reading a blog or just click on to the next one. Don't use weird fonts and bright colors, it has to be readable. I don't want my visit on your blog to feel like a slap to the face with widgets, moving pictures and glitter fonts.

You have to have the essentials down: People have to be able to find your reviews, your blog archive and your about page. That's the minimum. Don't use busy background images and please don't use white text on a black background. You want people to read your blog, right? Make it readable.



Do you have some pieces of advice for new bloggers?

What do you think about my advice?

26 comments:

  1. Thannk you for the advice, I am just new to the bloging scene.

    - Melissa @ http://melissasbooksaroundtheworld.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always glad to help! xx You're doing great so far though, your blog is beautiful and I love the idea behind it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great advice! I agree with them all! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure I have much to add, but this is all right on as far as I'm concerned.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you! Can't believe I wasn't following you before, your blog is so neat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Thank you so much. You just made my evening.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I LOVE this post! Such great advice! I admit, I have been really, really bad at sprucing up my older posts, and I WANT to do it but... time. And I am sorry, but I am having the best time picturing a blog with like, HUGE glitter gifs in rainbow colors all over the page HAHAH. Thanks for the visual ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you!!!xx Yeah, it's terrible. I cringed so hard when I revisited my first week of blogging, it's like I didn't even care whether you could read my posts. The layout! The horror! :D Maybe start at the end, like at your first posts and then work your way ip.

    Those blogs exist, I've seen things. By the way: Midnight Blue as a color for your blog considering the title is very clever! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, when I started out I didn't reply to comments! I think I just thought people would KNOW that I was glad that they commented! Great advice!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Number 4!! OMG, yes! I always try to comment back. The only time I won't is if someone comments on a meme like, 3 or 4 days after it was posted. But there are sooooo many blogs I comment on and never hear back from! It's like, I'm not doing this to talk to myself, you know... Great post!


    Tracy @ Cornerfolds

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah, it's something you learn as you go along! Thank you! xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. With memes it's different in general I guess, especially when the other blogs only do memes. I never know what to say then. Definitely depends on the quality of the comment though whether I check out the other blog and/or follow them. Oh, I see, that's a whole new topic on its own ;D Thank you! xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Definitely agree with 4! It's just the polite thing to do, people. If your blog is so big you get more than a hundred comments on every post 7 times a week, then yes, I can mayyybe understand why you're not responding to every single one of them. Any other case? Respond. I don't know why so many people don't, for me it's kind of impossible NOT to. On a similar note, make commenting easy for the people who want to comment on your blog. If I have to sign in to three different services to comment, or can't even find the fricking comment form, I probably won't bother. And of course I also agree with the need to make your blog readable - you don't have to buy a 250 bucks custom theme, but choose a clean design that will make it easy for people to enjoy your content. I admit I almost never bother to update my old posts - oops? :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Who even gets 100 comments, let's be honest here. I've seen blogs with over 2000 followers that get maybe one or two comments on their posts if they're lucky. To be honest I always wonder what those people are doing on the blogs if they aren't interested in talking to the blogger? Especially if you've got so many followers. But that's a topic for a different time I guess :)

    It always discourages me so much when I click through multiple posts on a blog and see the followers commenting, but the blogger doesn't even react :/ I'm kinda thinking to myself that I shouldn't even bother.

    Absolutely right! I've noticed that with certain comment systems I just don't bother, even if I wanted to write a comment and had something to say. Agree, Agree, Agree!

    But the blog themes, you do get what you pay for. Not that cheap/free themes (like mine yay) aren't okay, but you certainly notice the difference to a HQ theme!

    You definitely should update them, prepare for the cringe ;) Thanks for commenting!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The only one I can think of who gets that number of comments on SOME of her posts is Cait at Paperfury, and even she claims it's because she replies and comments back (it's also because her content is really good, but I'm pretty sure the commenting back and being a part of the community does play a huge part). I think (and do correct me if I'm wrong) from what I've seen most (book?) bloggers who have followers in the thousands get them through giveaways and similar things, so a lot of people might follow to win something and not because they plan to keep up with the blog. That said, I used to follow, like, ten blogs on bloglovin' and now I follow several hundred. Obviously I don't keep up closely with all of them (I have a folder in my bookmarks with blogs I keep up with regularly), but I like always having a healthy selection of reading material and I might choose to read any one of them if I happen to see it on my feed.


    Oh, I absolutely agree that expensive themes are usually worth their money, and I'd love to have one. What I was saying is that readability and functionality are first priority and can be achieved with a free theme. For example, I'm using a free WordPress theme that I've tweaked to suit my tastes, and I think it works and looks pretty, but of course I wouldn't say no to a custom designed one. :)


    It's just so much woooork. :D I looked at an old review of mine recently, and I realized I called the protagonist Bree the entire time even though her name is Ruby. I mean at least I was consistent I guess, but what the hell? :'D I don't even want to know what other blogging crimes I've committed now haha

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, das stimmt, das ist mir auch schon aufgefallen. Ich hab soviel Respekt dafür, dass sie auch bei 50+ Kommentaren die Geduld hat, da noch zu kommentieren. Ich hab letztens ihren post übers kommentieren gelesen, indem sie beschreibt wieso sie so viele Kommentare bekommt. Ich kaufe ihr absolut ab, dass das daher kommt, dass sie immer antwortet/anderen sinnvolle Kommentare wie am Fließband schreibt.

    Ich hab keine Ahnung, wie das manche schaffen. Teilweise gibt es blogs, die einfach vom Layout und vom Inhalt so grenzwertig sind und trotzdem 3000+ follower haben, dass ich mich echt wundere, wie die das machen. Ich bezweifle stark, dass man durch ne handvoll givewaways so viele follower bekommt, sonst würde das ja jeder machen. BrokandBookish zum Beispiel haben's durch ihren Eigeninhalt geschafft und das ist auch eigentlich der Weg, den jeder anstreben sollte, finde ich. Die follower, die man durch Giveaways bekommt, interessieren sich dann doch eh nicht für deinen Blog.^^

    Oh bei BL ist das aber auch eine Sauerei. Ich folge wirklich etlichen, das ist wie mit meinem Tumblr dashboard, ein einziges Chaos. ^^ Ich hab meine fünf bis sieben favoriten bei denen ich regukär vorbeischaue, den Rest meines Blogbedürfnisses befriedige ich durch Bloglovin :)

    Wat, ich dachte dein theme wäre gekauft! :D

    boah ne, das hat jetzt 325735mal solange gedauert das auf deutsch zu schreiben oh mein goooottt

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes to all of this! Sometimes I'm amazed just looking at people's blog when their pages are a mess and I can't find anything; I know, especially when you're just starting out that it's a learning process, but the most important thing is that people are able to read your content! That's the whole point!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is great! I agree organisation and communication are some of the most important parts of blogging. Another one I would add is helping out other bloggers and lesser known authors. I find that kind of communication is the best to gain new readers.

    Emily @ http://emily-confessionsofabookaholic.blogspot.co.uk/2015/03/calling-all-bloggers.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. Obviously. My blog was prettttyy awful in the first weeks, but I'd like to think I managed to fix the main issues :D You're absolutely right.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Definitely! You have to let people know you exist, but don't be pushy with the promotion.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nope! Das Theme is umsonst, ich habs nur ziemlich verändert. Der Blog is allerdings selbst gehosted, das kostet leider was. :D


    Ja so mach ichs auch - ich hab paar Favoriten, die ich bei meinen Lesezeichen hab und dann schau ich immer mal wieder bei Bloglovin' vorbei. :)


    Naja, n paar interessieren sich dann vielleicht schon dafür, aber der Großteil liest wahrscheinlich nie was du schreibst. Für mich funktioniert Kommentare hinterlassen und andere Blogs anschauen auf jeden Fall besser, weil ich dadurch auch selbst was gewinne. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think your advice is excellent. And I'm doing exactly as #4 since you were recently at my blog.


    I think the best piece of advice I could give (and I wish I'd listen to myself some times) is simply do this for yourself first and foremost. It's supposed to be fun, but it is also work. So called "free books" might sound nice, but you should be working on giving the best review possible for those "free books" See? Fun + free = Work. But do it because you love it and the rest will come along in time.


    Excellent post - definitely going to follow your advice.
    Marsha @ KeeperBookshelf.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thank you! Absolutely, it's no use if you're not enjoying yourself and your readers will be able to tell if it's a chore to you to blog. Definitely, ARCs are bane of every new blogger's existence haha

    ReplyDelete
  24. WOW just what I was looking for. Came here by searching for effective
    weight loss

    my page ... garcinia pure select

    ReplyDelete

Comments make every blogger's day. Don't be afraid and say something, even if it's just a smiley face or a quick "Hey, I liked this" or "Hey, I didn't like this". Don't be shy! xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...