Thursday, November 27, 2014

Recommendation: Abandon by Meg Cabot

Share it Please




In ABANDON, Pierce Oliviera dies but manages to escape the afterlife and return to the realm of the living. Little does she know that the drama isn't over yet. Underworld Keeper John Hayden seems to be everywhere she goes.
What intrigued me: I love Greek mythology!

Instant love and a stalker-y romance?

The story is a retelling of the Persephone and Hades mythos from Greek mythology, but Cabot only took the kidnapping part from this and I'm not sure whether I think it's romantic or pretty close to being abusive and weird. John Hayden - the Hades equivalent and love interest, is our typical angry, thoughtful, heartbroken and mysterious YA character. He's creepy, he spends a lot of time in the cemetery and he's really not someone that you want to meet in the middle of the night on a lonely street. 

Cabot makes sure to set the mood right in the beginning of the novel - his entrance is creepy, he's mean and he seems like he has a lot of issues. Still, this doesn't keep Pierce from being all over him and not even because he's pretty. He's really not that pretty. 

One thing that actually bothered me about the relationship between John and Pierce is that from the beginning she talks about being madly in love with him. But then, throughout the novel we find out that they met only, like, twice? It's a bit insta-love-y. Because the love story actually begins in the last 3/4 of the novel, I find it also a bit rushed. Everything's too fast with these two, especially because Cabot took her time and gave John hardly any appearance in the novel. She went from one extreme to the other and therefore the novel isn't quite the paranormal romance I've expected to read.

Flashbacks and plot twists

The entire plot plays in a span of about three or four days which also makes it very difficult to get the timeline right. Especially if you throw in a hell lot of flashbacks. Good thing that the world of Pierce sucked me in so hard that I wanted to get every piece of information that I could, so I didn't really mind. The plot takes its time and the days are full of events which might be a little unrealistic, but at least it made the reading experience fun and worth my time. At no point the novel had me thinking that I know what's going to happen. The plot twists weren't really massive and only logical, not trying to shock the reader or anything.

Furies, Gods, The Five Rivers of the Underworld, it's all in this. I love that, but due to the fact that the majority of the novel takes please in the, well "Upperworld", we didn't get a chance to see much of that yet. The mythology part is interesting but I feel like it's not as complicated as it has to be in a trilogy. We'll see, I'm definitely going to read the sequels, just because she ended the first novel with a fantastic cliffhanger.



Rating:

★★★★

 



Overall: Do I Recommend?

This has everything that I want to read about in a YA mythology novel. It's witty, Pierce is extremely sarcastic and smart and I loved every single thing about it. The pacing may be a little off and the flashbacks too much at times, but there's nothing keeping me from recommending this one.



Additional Info

Published: April 26th 2011
Pages: 304
Publisher: Pivot
Genre: YA / Greek Mythology
ISBN: 9780545284103

Synopsis:
"Though she tries returning to the life she knew before the accident, Pierce can't help but feel at once a part of this world, and apart from it. Yet she's never alone . . . because someone is always watching her. Escape from the realm of the dead is impossible when someone there wants you back.

But now she's moved to a new town. Maybe at her new school, she can start fresh. Maybe she can stop feeling so afraid.

Only she can't. Because even here, he finds her. That's how desperately he wants her back. She knows he's no guardian angel, and his dark world isn't exactly heaven, yet she can't stay away . . . especially since he always appears when she least expects it, but exactly when she needs him most.

But if she lets herself fall any further, she may just find herself back in the one place she most fears: the Underworld."(Source: Goodreads)

Have you read books by Meg Cabot?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make every blogger's day. Don't be afraid and say something, even if it's just a smiley face or a quick "Hey, I liked this" or "Hey, I didn't like this". Don't be shy! xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...