Wednesday, September 3, 2014

[Review] Fangirl - Rainbow Rowell

Share it Please



Cather and Wren are twins that are complete opposites. Cather is an extroverted party girl and Wren is an introverted bookworm and hobby fan fiction author. 

When they both go to college, they deal with the experience very differently. 


What intrigued me: I love pop culture references and I did write a fair share of fan fiction back in the day. I had to read this.

Difficult Premise for People 
Who Don't Know Fan Culture

Someone that has never been in contact with actual fan culture on websites like tumblr, livejournal and ao3, will not understand what's going on here. Why write stories about characters that already have stories? Why not just reread the book? To everyone who doesn't understand fan culture, Cath will look like a lunatic, because Rowell doesn't really explain the appeal in writing fan fiction. 

Of course most readers do know what's going on because they most likely fangirls themselves, but you can't just assume stuff like this. You go ahead and try to explain to a stranger on the bus what the appeal is in writing made-up stories that will never get published or appreciated by professionals and then bend their plot lines so much you don't even recognize that it's these characters half the time. 
Looking at you, Coffee-Shop!EverybodyLives!m/m-category. If you take a specific topic like this, you just have to be a bit more careful and explain things. 

Yeah, I skipped parts of her actual fan fiction. Didn't even try because after the third passage that turned out to have no impact on the story, I didn't see any sense in torturing myself with that. I just didn't have the patience or emotional investment in Cather's fictional story that Rowell probably aimed for.

Great Characters + Boring Plot

Aside from the fact that I didn't care about Cath and her writings, I loved Reagan, loved Wren and was indifferent about Levi. At least her characters show some diversity! But boring protagonists without  a drive/goal in the novel just … why would I want to read about the everyday adventures of some random girl at college? Already have that in my life, I don’t need a novel about it. The certain spark that makes me want to get to know the character is just missing. I’d rather have read about Wren or Reagan. 

In regards to the plot: loose ends everywhere, random people making short appearances that have no impact on the entirety of the novel and important characters just having cameos. I’d love to have seen more of Wren’s boyfriend or the girls' dad. Instead I get a squeezed in story with a stupid douchebag aka Nick that is oh so rude to Cather to force the readers to like Eli. Also Love-Triangle. Don’t you think I didn’t see that you were implying it, Rainbow. 


Rating:

★★☆☆

 



Overall: Do I Recommend?



Yeah, I guess. Just because I know that the idea probably intrigues a lot of people. But I just couldn’t handle the novel. These unnecessary passages about Harry Potter and Draco Malfoy  Simon Snow and Whatshisface just made me wish I could fast forward because they had no impact on the novel. Also a horrible loose ending that just made me think - wow, somebody just wanted to get this thing over with.



Additional Info

Original Title: Fangirl
Author: Rainbow Rowell
Published: September 13th 2013
Pages: 445
Medium: ebook
Publisher: St. Martin's Press
Genre: YA / Contemporary
ISBN: B00BMKH5NW

Synopsis:
"Cath is a Simon Snow fan.

Okay, the whole world is a Simon Snow fan...

But for Cath, being a fan is her life—and she’s really good at it. She and her twin sister, Wren, ensconced themselves in the Simon Snow series when they were just kids; it’s what got them through their mother leaving.

Reading. Rereading. Hanging out in Simon Snow forums, writing Simon Snow fan fiction, dressing up like the characters for every movie premiere.

Cath’s sister has mostly grown away from fandom, but Cath can’t let go. She doesn’t want to.

Now that they’re going to college, Wren has told Cath she doesn’t want to be roommates. Cath is on her own, completely outside of her comfort zone. She’s got a surly roommate with a charming, always-around boyfriend, a fiction-writing professor who thinks fan fiction is the end of the civilized world, a handsome classmate who only wants to talk about words... And she can’t stop worrying about her dad, who’s loving and fragile and has never really been alone.

For Cath, the question is: Can she do this?

Can she make it without Wren holding her hand? Is she ready to start living her own life? Writing her own stories?

And does she even want to move on if it means leaving Simon Snow behind?"(Source: Goodreads)



 Have you read FANGIRL?





No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments make every blogger's day. Don't be afraid and say something, even if it's just a smiley face or a quick "Hey, I liked this" or "Hey, I didn't like this". Don't be shy! xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...